Senate Bill 732, Office Surgery, was signed into law by Governor DeSantis. The effective date is January 1, 2020. The bill provides important new registration requirements and practice standards for office surgery centers.
Effective January 1, 2020, all offices in which a physician performs a liposuction procedure in which more than 1,000 cubic centimeters of supernatant fat is removed, a Level II office surgery center, or a Level III office surgery center must register with the department and comply with the requirements in s. 458.328 and s. 459.0138. The only exception is if the office is licensed as a facility under chapter 390 or chapter 395.
Each office surgery center must:
- Have a designated physician who is responsible for ensuring compliance with the laws and rules governing office surgeries; and
- Demonstrate financial responsibility equal to the minimum required for physicians
All currently registered office surgery centers will be required to reapply by January 1, 2020, with no additional fees, and meet the requirements for a designated physician and financial responsibility.
NEWClick here for the new registration application.
Office Surgery Registration Application CURRENTLY REGISTERED WITH THE DEPARTMENT – Complete the highlighted portions of the application. You may send the completed application to PMC_OSR@flhealth.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualifications and responsibilities of the designated physician in an office surgery center?
The physician must:
- Have a full, active, and unencumbered license under Chapters 458 or 459, Florida Statutes.
- Practice at the office surgery center for which he/she has assumed responsibility.
- Ensure that the office surgery center complies with all applicable laws and rules.
- Notify the Department within 10 calendar days of any change in the designated physician.
How have inspections changed?
- Inspections may be announced or unannounced.
Under the new law, is an office surgery center that is currently registered with the department required to reapply and pay a registration fee?
- All currently registered office surgery centers will need to reapply and meet the new requirements. There will be no registration fee for reapplication and the office will keep the same registration number. Click here for the new registration application.
What is the financial responsibility for an office surgery center?
- Under the new law, all office surgery centers are required to demonstrate financial responsibility equal to the minimum required for physicians under sections 458.320 or 459.0085, Florida Statutes. The office surgery center is required to provide the Department of Health with information regarding the financial responsibility when:
- Applying for initial registration.
- There is a change in the office surgery center’s financial responsibility status.
Go to www.flhealthsource.gov/2019-bills to read the full text of the law. You can send questions about the new requirements to PMC_OSR@flhealth.gov